Hi! The name’s Mike, but my real friends call me Mike. I was born in Iowa, corn-fed and beef-raised, though recently my diet has comprised more of yogurt and bagel bites (not mixed together). I grew up with a saxophone in one hand and a comic book in the other, but my artistic flair has taken a backseat to my love of fitness. Hey – don’t judge. She’s always down 24/7 and she is a wicked, humbling temptress.


I joined the Iowa National Guard at the age of 20 and life was forever changed. It took until then to really care about my body and I’ve felt happier, more confident, and more content ever since. It helped clear the weeds from my path and made it obvious where my purpose was: not just fitness, but spreading the word. I want to be fit myself, sure, but what’s more, I want to help others be happy, confident, and content, too.


All of this is why I started this blog. I want to get the word out there…and maybe post the occasional picture of my calves. 2nd favorite body part? My calves. Don’t fret – as you read my blog you’ll soon discover that this façade of narcissism is really veiling the juicy stuff underneath. I often post about girls not liking me, reading books on the universe, how to avoid crying in public, and not being a bro, too. I’m not. I swear.


As you explore the blog you’ll explore with me fitness and fitness philosophy. Are you ready? Good. Grab a bottle of whisky and buckle up, because this is going to get weird

Monday, October 20, 2014

Single and ready to pretend like I know anything about dating

If you couldn't tell from my previous entries I am single. 

Very. Single.

Completely heterosexual bromances don't count


And I have been for a long time.


  When you've been single for as long as I have, you start to take note of the people around you and their relationships.  I've seen friends blast through hook ups, flings, "oh, we're just talking" and long term relationships faster than I can finish a bottle of whisky.  I've somewhat jealously scoffed at my peers adorable engagement and pregnancy announcements on the Facebook.  Throughout all of this I have remained the perpetual bachelor.  The lone(ly) wolf.  The party of one.


I said bromances don't count!

  To say that I haven't enjoyed the single life would be a complete and total lie.  Independence is great.  The freedom to do what I want, when I want is almost unbeatable.  Not feeling responsible for anyone's happiness but my own is liberating!  However, there comes a time when making pasta for one person is just too depressing.

It's called every time

 
As I have ventured through the ups and downs of being single I have found some "interesting" articles from "real" writers online about what a relationship is supposed to be.  These writers claim to know exactly what you need in a significant other..  Everything from simple gestures to intricate personality matching  has been mentioned. 


I have to ask though, is finding the right person and falling in love really that complicated?

    To me, if you fall in love with someone flaws and little discrepancies disappear, both yours and theirs.  The way they don't trim their nails every week doesn't matter. Their hair color is simply unimportant.  Their passions become your passions. 

  Now I may be the wrong person to be saying this having been out of the "dating game" for so long but I myself have come up with a list of things to look for in a significant other that I want to share with you today.

1.  Find someone who genuinely cares for and respects you and others around them.
2.  Find someone you genuinely care for and respect.

And that's it.

  Too simple?  I think not.  Too often in relationships, even friendship, we overlook these rudimentary values and how much they are worth.  I believe that with these two characteristics you can build a strong and loving relationship with anyone.  Maybe even with a republican!  (LOL)
  
  Am I saying this will guarantee you find your soul mate, "the one," or the love of your life?  Absolutely not.  But you'd be amazed at how much more intimate of a connection you can have with anyone if you keep these two ideas in mind.

  
With good health and strong hamstrings,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment