Hi! The name’s Mike, but my real friends call me Mike. I was born in Iowa, corn-fed and beef-raised, though recently my diet has comprised more of yogurt and bagel bites (not mixed together). I grew up with a saxophone in one hand and a comic book in the other, but my artistic flair has taken a backseat to my love of fitness. Hey – don’t judge. She’s always down 24/7 and she is a wicked, humbling temptress.


I joined the Iowa National Guard at the age of 20 and life was forever changed. It took until then to really care about my body and I’ve felt happier, more confident, and more content ever since. It helped clear the weeds from my path and made it obvious where my purpose was: not just fitness, but spreading the word. I want to be fit myself, sure, but what’s more, I want to help others be happy, confident, and content, too.


All of this is why I started this blog. I want to get the word out there…and maybe post the occasional picture of my calves. 2nd favorite body part? My calves. Don’t fret – as you read my blog you’ll soon discover that this façade of narcissism is really veiling the juicy stuff underneath. I often post about girls not liking me, reading books on the universe, how to avoid crying in public, and not being a bro, too. I’m not. I swear.


As you explore the blog you’ll explore with me fitness and fitness philosophy. Are you ready? Good. Grab a bottle of whisky and buckle up, because this is going to get weird

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

The Rules: Revisited, Volume 2

6.  Read for fun

  This rule is the leg work of rule number 2.  In order to know a little bit about a lot of things reading is essential.  While I am a huge fan of Netflix documentaries and learning though them, they are too passive.  Reading actively engages you in the material you are learning about.

Reading doesn't have to be a chore.

  Whether you are reading a dissertation on "The Differential Effects of Bilateral Tax Treaties," or this weeks Deadpool issue, the important thing is you are enjoying reading and learning.  Find something, anything you enjoy reading and do it!  Reading and learning will broaden your horizons and make you a more well rounded individual.  

  Besides making you more interesting it is common knowledge that reading has many benefits.  Everything from reduced stressed to improved memory and analytical skills can be achieve just by picking up a book.

7.  If you talk to dogs in a normal voice, I can never trust you.

  This one is pretty simple.  Dogs are the best people.  They are loyal, loving, and just plain fun.  Essentially making them furry four legged toddlers.  And who talks to toddlers with stern and precise statements?  Sociopaths.  That's who.  Treat all dogs like you would a small child and I will trust you.

8.  Your friends are the family you pick, treat them as such.

  As we grow older and take with us the knowledge our parents have imparted onto us, we tend to gradually grow apart from them as we discover ourselves.  I'm not necessarily saying that is a good thing but it happens.  However throughout our lives we need love and support from other people.  

  Enter your friends.  Take a second and think about all the things your friends do for you.  A stupid text that makes you laugh, a pick me up phone call when you are having a bad day, encouraging you to write a blog.  Everyday these people you surround yourself with are there for you.  Maybe not in a physical sense but emotionally and mentally they always have your back.  As our families fade our friends pick up the slack.

  And that is why you should treat them as family.  They are loving you, caring for you, and supporting you in all the ways your family has.  To me, other than minor genetic differences, there is no difference between family and friends.  Show them the same kind of love you would show a brother or sister and you will be amazed how much stronger your friendships will become.

9.  Don't take yourself too seriously.

  In the words of the great Van Wilder, "You shouldn't take life too seriously.  You'll never get out alive."  What a role model.  There is some real truth to that quote though.  In my experience if you take yourself to seriously you miss out on the joys of everyday life.  

  I like to tell people the story of how I literally choked while trying to talk to a cute girl.  When I say literally choked I mean I physically choked on my own spit and couldn't even speak to her when she approached me.  It was quite the experience.

  Now I could have taken this one of two ways.  I could have gotten all huffy puffy and butt hurt over how I looked ridiculous and stupid to this young lady.  Or I could have a hilarious story to share with my friends.  Guess which one I went with.

  Everything isn't going to go your way.  Some days are really going to pile on the suck.  But if you learn to check your ego and laugh at yourself you will be much happier.

10. DO MOAR SQUATZ!!!

  Finally!  I'm talking about fitness on my fitness blog!  If you haven't heard the "good news" yet, prepare yourself for a small sermon on the squat.

  In the weightlifting kingdom there is a king, queen, and prince.  King Deadlift is a mighty ruler who's ability to promote gains amongst his lesser subjects is infallible and undeniable.  However I find King Deadlift's spouse, Her Majesty Squat, to be just as important in governing your muscular gains.  Prince Bench Press is there better known, more commonly used on #flexfriday, adopted son.  

  Whether you are looking to gain muscle, lose fat, increase sport performance or just improve the quality of your daily life, the squat should be a center piece for your exercise program.

  As a compound, or multijoint, movement the squat engages a larger number of muscles than a single joint movement such as the court jester, the bicep curl.  This greater muscular recruitment creates an anabolic environment in your body that actually promotes muscular growth in areas that aren't even technically engaged!  This is done through the release of hormones such as testosterone and growth hormones that will flow throughout your entire body.

    Once you have gained a bit of muscle from squatting your basal metabolic rate will increase.  This means you are burning more calories as you are just sitting around.  This is because your body uses more calories to support and sustain muscle than it does for fat.  Boom.  Bye bye fat, hello lean muscle mass.

  On a more subjective note, who doesn't want a tight and firm booty?  I mean the muscular gains and health benefits of squatting are great, but really I just want to have a nice but.  And I'm sure you do too.

  There are a billion million zillion ways to program the squat.  So many so that a quick google search of squat programs can be a little intimidating.  To me, the barbell squat is the gold standard.  I would recommend any person new to weightlifting start there.  Keep in mind that doing compound exercises for a larger number of repetitions can be very difficult, but on the other end finding a good 3x3 weight while still learning form and technique can be just plain dangerous.  

  So, find a weight that you can comfortably squat for 3 sets of 10-12 reps to near fatigue.  Near fatigue being you have the ability to do 1 or 2 more reps if you had to but don't do those reps.  Eventually you will be able to move into higher repetitions with lower weights or higher weights with lower repetitions.  Just give yourself some time and consistency and you will get there.  The possibilities are endless once you learn how to squat properly!  Be sure to find someone to coach you through the basics of the movement as you are starting out too.

   

With good health and strong hamstrings,
Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment